Borough of Westwood, New Jersey
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I obtain marriage, birth, and death certificates at the Borough Clerk’s Office?

A: No, they are obtained at the Health Department, whose phone number is 201-664-7100 ext. 129

Q: How do I register to vote? What are the requirements?

A: The Borough Clerk's office has mail-in voter registration forms.  In order to register to vote, you must be at least 18 years old by the next regularly held election, and you must be a U.S. citizen or a naturalized citizen.   For further information on elections, click here.

Q: How do I obtain an absentee ballot?

A: The Borough Clerk’s Office has applications for Vote by Mail ballots. The Vote by Mail ballot application must be received (not just postmarked) by the County Clerk no later than 7 days prior to any election. If this deadline is missed, the voter may go in person to Hackensack and vote by mail ballot at the County Clerk’s office up until 3:00 P.M. the day before any election. If it is past that time, the voter will not be able to vote by mail. The vote by mail ballot itself must be received by the Bergen County Board of Elections by the close of polls on election day. Please keep in mind that if the voter applies for a vote by mail ballot, the voter must vote by mail, even if his/her plans change and he/she is able to vote at the regular polling location. A voter will not be allowed to vote at his/her regular polling location once he/she has applied for a vote by mail ballot.

Q: I have recently moved within Westwood, is my voter registration still valid?

A: No. You must register to vote again, with your new address. In addition, if you change your name due to marriage or divorce, you must register with your new name.

Q: How often must I vote to keep my registration valid?

A: You must vote at least once in either a Primary or General election every five years.

Q: Where do I vote?


A:  Search by address for your polling location - Polling Place Search


Q: May I submit my passport application to the Borough Clerk?

A: No. If it is a new application, or if it is a renewal application for a child whose original application was issued prior to the age of 16, then you must go with all of your information (pictures, certified copy of birth certificate, fees) to the County Clerk’s Office, Bergen County Justice Center, at the intersection of Essex and Main Streets in Hackensack. If it is a renewal for an adult, or if it is a renewal for a child whose original passport was issued after the age of 16, then it may be done through the mail. It takes approximately 8 weeks to obtain a new or renewed passport. The Borough Clerk’s office has both new and renewal applications. It is a good idea to call first to see if they are in stock, because the Borough of Westwood must obtain them from the County Clerk’s Office in Hackensack.

Q: Do I need a permit for a garage sale or a yard sale or an estate sale?

A: No.  Please note you are not permitted to place signs on telephone poles, streetlights, on public property or in the right-of-way.

Q: How do I obtain a Commuter Parking Decal?

A: The Borough Clerk’s office issues Commuter Parking Decals for Westwood residents only.  The decals allow you to park on the following streets near the train station:  Second Avenue between Park & Elm – West side; Fourth Avenue between Park & Elm – East side; Madison Avenue between Park & Third – West side; Park Avenue between Second & Third – indicated by sign.


The remaining downtown area streets and Municipal Parking Lots are metered parking.


Please bring your vehicle registration and driver’s license to the clerk’s office to obtain a parking decal.  The cost is $5 for the 2015 parking decal.  Please note that the 2016 parking decal is now available but the cost is $10.00.

Q: How do I obtain senior citizen transportation assistance?

A: Call the Senior Van line at 201-664-7100 ext. 170.


Q: How can I find out which school my child will be attending?

A: You can check the Westwood Regional School District website for information about the school system, or you can call the Board of Education at 201-664-0880.